Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Blessed is an understatement!

Words could never ever begin to say how thankful I am for my family. I do alot of "blog reading" especially Christian blogs. I recently read one called, "A widow's story" and my mind started thinking back to 11 years ago. My granddaddy was my hero. He is was the greatest man I've ever known. He roped the moon. In August of 2000 my world come crashing down, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. I prayed more then than I ever had before. I believed that he could beat it. But little did any of us know what a short battle he would face. I basically lived with my grandparents, not technically, but more nights than not I stayed with them. Almost every childhood memory I remember has my Granddaddy in it. When he was diagnosed, I remember the day he told my mother, they were outside and I heard my mom yelling at him, clearly emotional. I don't remember exactly when they told me. But I knew when they did that's why my mom had been so upset. I remember when he started chemo/radiation how sick it made him. I remember so many scary moments that made me realize he wasn't going to beat this. I remember our last Thanksgiving together, like it was yesterday. Those were out final days with him. I was at church on Sunday, December 10, 2000, I went for Sunday school and for some I wanted to leave. I called someone to come get me. My step dad picked me up and took me to Bignanny's where Marla and Matthew were. I remember Mom, Sissy, and Uncle Kenny coming in eyes puffy, and blood shot. I knew without them saying a word. It has been 11 years since I lost my granddaddy, but until I read that post I never even thought about how hard it was for my grandmother. I never thought about how hard it was one anyone else really, no one except me. I could not imagine how hard it is to go on with life with out your partner, the father of your children, the man you were married to for years. Luckily, he made sure my grandmother knew how to do it all. Most women would be lost without a man around. There isn't much my grandmother can't do. She has lived her life the past 11 years just as she did before he passed, living for other people. Maybe she does it to keep herself busy, maybe she does it to keep her mind off of him, maybe she does it because that's what "they" would be doing if he was still alive. Kensley is probably the most spoiled child I know, and she would be so much worse if "Killer" was still here. My grandmother does more for me than anyone ever has. She does as much for Kenlsey as she possibly can. She has been my rock so many times.  She is the most unselfish person that I know. I could go on and on about this women, but above all else, I give her thanks. I am so thankful for all she is and does.

I recently read a quote on a favorite singer's facebook page, "Love is thicker than blood"
I have NEVER heard words more true than this.

My mom and Tony met when I was in diapers, and got married when I was very very young. As far back as I can remember, My Nanny and Paw Paw are in my memories. I never remember a time in my life when they were not. This is my "step- grandparents" I am referring too, but they are my REAL grandparents. They have always been so good to me, and I often enjoy going to their house as a child, and as an adult. I attend church with my nanny, and she inspires me to be a more Godly woman. I often say how I wish I had her faith, and heart. I don't know that I ever will, but I am on the right path thanks to her! She has never treated me any differently than any of her other grandchildren. She loves me and Kensley just as much as she does all the rest of her grandchildren. She does as much as she can for me especially when I need help with Kenlsey. Love is thicker than blood, I know this to be true.

I am also blessed to have so many other people in my life who help me out with Kensley.  Being a single mom is hard, especially with my parents living 10,000 miles away. When Kens is sick, or I need someone to keep her, I have a handful of people who step up and are willing to help me out. Words can never say how thankful I am for all everyone does for me! If I ever win the lottery, I will remember each of you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment